Architectural Design Checklist - Residential
What is your budget?
What is your Schedule?
Have you selected a Contractor?
- Do you have a broker or an agent?
- Have you selected a site? If so is it under contract?
- In what city or municipality is the site located?
- Does the building have any historic significance or is it in a historic district?
- Is it in a floodplain or a floodway?
- Do you have a survey or site plan of this property?
- Are you looking to do a renovation, addition or new construction?
- What is the buildable area?
- Is there a preferred building orientation?
- Are there any special site features you want to take advantage of? (Views, topography, vegetation, caves, trees, etc.)
- Are there any specific access points to the site you wish to take advantage of or close off?
- What do you have in mind for landscaping?
- Have you considered any exterior lighting?
- How many square feet does the building need to be?
- How many stories do you need / prefer?
- What is the preferred architectural style?
- What do you want the building to be made out of (brick, stucco, siding, etc.?)
- How high of ceilings are you wanting for each floor?
- How big of a concern is energy efficiency.
- Do you want any outdoor spaces (patios, decks, outdoor fireplaces, kitchens, etc.?)
- Do you want a front porch?
- What type of garage did you have in mind? 1, car, 2 car, 3 car, tandem, carport, etc.
- Do you prefer an open floorplan or a more traditional compartmentalized layout?
- Below is a list of rooms: please indicate which rooms listed below you would like included in your home and what sizes or pieced of furniture you would like to fit in the space:
- Entry foyer
- Living room
- Dining room (formal or open)
- Kitchen (open, separated?)
- Study / office
- Laundry room
- Mud room
- Half bath / full bath
- Sitting room
- Bedrooms (how many)
- Bathrooms (private, Jack and Jill, attached.)
- Master suite
- Closet (separate or combined)
- Master bath
- Toilet (with or w/o a toilet closet)
- Vanities (1 or 2 – separate or
- Tub (soaking, jetted, shower combo)
- Shower (insert, tiled, glass (framed/frameless)
- Other features, bidet, steam room, sauna, etc.
- Loft space
- Upper level laundry
- Stairs, open, enclosed if open what style railing and spindles.
- Finish Basement/Attic.
- Bonus room over a garage
- Theater room (how many seats, screen size and type)
- Bar (refrigerator, ice maker, beer tapper, etc.)
- Billiards room / game room
- Wine Cellar (number of bottles)
- Exercise room
- Meditation room
- Wrapping room / craft room / sewing room
- Utility rooms (Furnace, Water heater, water softener, central vacuum, server, etc.)